A few months ago, a sample-sized bottle of this leave-in conditioner arrived at my apartment courtesy of
beauty addiction enabler Birchbox. Having already tried, and loved, two other leave-in conditioners I’d previously been sent, I happily whisked the sample off to my bathroom, sure it would be no exception. Sadly this time, BBox let me down.
Firstly, I’m not a huge fan of the scent. It manages to be both herbal and oddly cloying, a potent and almost medicinal combination that doesn’t appeal. What really put me off this leave-in conditioner, however, was its effect on my hair, or should I say lack thereof. As far as I can tell, this product didn’t accomplish much of anything, my hair was no softer, shinier, or at all easier to brush through. There were times I even suspected it made my tangles worse (I understand that makes zero sense). I’ll admit that my favorite leave-in, Beauty Protector Protect & Detangle, is a hard act to follow but this didn’t even come close.
What’s most puzzling to me is that the reviews online are generally incredibly positive. I can understand not everyone feels the same about the scent, that’s typically a personal preference, but I can’t account for the reviews that claim this sample bottle changed their life. As far as I can tell, the best thing about this product is that it sprays in fine, even mist and is 100% vegan. Overall, I’d say if you’re looking for a good leave-in conditioner, skip Number 4 Super Comb Prep & Protect and order either this number from 12 Benefits or the aforementioned gem from Beauty Protector, both of which are cheaper too.
Has anyone else given this product a try – am I the only person who wasn’t won over?
Image credit: Birchbox.com
Here’s a quick hit list of what I’ve been reaching for again and again this past month.
- Ardell Brow Sculpting Gel (clear) – seeing as how my eyebrows are constantly in a state of mutiny, eyebrow gel has become a staple in my makeup bag. That being said, I’ve yet to find one that really wows me. This gel, while not being amazing, is pretty darn good and is significantly cheaper than the other gels I’ve been testing recently. For those whose eyebrows need only mild encouragement – this could be an excellent bargain! $6.49/2.5oz.
- Rimmel London Scandaleyes Kohl Kajal Eyeliner in #004 “Taupe” – this eyeliner is a great option for people who prefer more subtle definition when it comes to their eye makeup. It’s a warm, grey-brown shade that’s great for sneaky eyeliner looks or running along the lower lashes for a softer effect. The best part? It’s waterproof and won’t budge once it sets – win win win.
- Benefit “Stay Flawless” 15 hour primer – full review here.
- Revlon Super Lustrous lip gloss in #215 “Super Natural” – I’m a girl who love her “your lips but better” lip products – pinky browns alllll the way. Well this Revlon gloss is perhaps the ultimate YLBB gloss for me. It’s fragrance-free, non-sticky, and shiny without being over the top. It’s currently my go-to day gloss and I always keep it in my bag!
- Smith’s Rosebud Salve – this multi-purpose salve is incredible. It’s a super pretty clear pink balm that comes in a retro, rose-adorned tin. I love swiping this on before I head to bed at night – sometimes I can still feel in on my lips in the morning! Moisture city. $6/.8oz.
- Essie “In the Cab-ana” – Blues & turquoises are probably my all-time favorite shades to wear on my finger nails so the fact that this Essie offering is currently top of the pack should say something. It’s a gorgeous, summer color that’s bold and bright without being harsh. $8/.5oz.
- Color Club “Reign in Spain” – this color is available exclusively as part of the “Wanderlust” collection from Birchbox. It somehow manages to strike the perfect balance between neon and pastel and while it doesn’t look that amazing in the bottle, it’s a showstopper on the hands. It’s one of those polishes that has you continuously peeking at your fingers throughout the day. While the formula’s nothing to write home about, the color makes up the difference – it makes even my albino hands look tan. $8/4 mini polishes.
- Joe Malone “English Pear & Freesia” Cologne – this is the perfect summer perfume: light, sweet, fruity, and refreshing. It doesn’t have the most amazing staying power but the smell is so delicious it more than makes up for it – I just carry around a little sample version I hoodwinked the saleslady into giving me for touch-ups! A wee bit steep on the price front but I think the name “Jo Malone” might have already given that away. $60/30ml.
Random Bits & Pieces
- Target “Mini Cinnamon Donuts” Candle – I’ve done a mini review on this yummy candle.
That’s all I have for this month! But I made a ninja trip to Sephora during my lunch break last week and have a ton of new skincare products I’m testing – hoping those end up in my August faves next month! What have you been loving this July?
I will forever be grateful to Birchbox for introducing me to this little gem. I got a sample of the Beauty Protector Protect & Detangle leave in conditioner in my May Birchbox and it was love at first…spray? (Just let it go.) This product does everything your hair could hope for: detangles, protects from heat and UV rays, seals the cuticle, smoothes hair, locks in color, adds shine, AND conditions. All this from a light-weight, non-greasy formula that smells incredible! It has literally replaced every other hair product by my sink. I ordered the full size immediately and am still head over heels after two months of daily use.
Birchbox describes the Beauty Protector Protect & Detangle as such:
“This paraben and sulfate free detangler seals the cuticles (the microscopic scales that compose the outermost layer of each strand of hair). It also smooths and moisturizes, thereby minimizing frizz, while safeguarding color and adding shine. Lastly, it provides protection against UV rays and heat. Happily, it accomplishes all this through a weightless, non-greasy formula that leaves behind an airy floral scent.”
My biggest hair issues are volume and oil (I look slightly greasy by the end of the day) so I’m leery about using leave-in conditioners. Well this product proved me wrong – my hair doesn’t look any oilier or less voluminous as a result of using it – always a good thing! As silly as it sounds, using this is one of my favorite parts of getting ready in the morning. It smells delicious, sprays evenly in a fine mist, and makes combing your hair super easy! What really hooked me was how soft my hair felt after using it. I could not stop touching my head. I could not stop asking my friends to touch my head. My hair was noticeably softer, smoother, and shinier.
I have nothing bad to say about this product and would recommend it to anyone! Fun fact: it’s 100% vegan which just makes it that much cooler.
It’s priced at a very reasonable $21.95/8oz (free shipping!) and is available exclusively from Birchbox.
Image Credit: blog.birchbox.com